Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'm a bit out there, I know, but...

...should I be concerned, or at least a bit 'thoughtful', of this Treasury Secretary designate Timothy Geithner? I mean, sure, you can have some problems using those TurboTax type tax programs yourself, but to the tune of some $34000 in taxes you 'forget' to pay? For 4 years running, you still can't figure out that you did something wrong? Does someone in his position with his sort of finances even use those sorts of tax prep programs? Well, obviously he did, but still...

We made a mistake once...the IRS is hardly what one might call lapse, or slow, in letting you know you owe them money. They are only slow when it comes to them making an error to send back to you.

But this man is going to be the Treasury Secretary? Does that seem a bit, oh I don't know, idiotic to say the least?

I know, I'm not politically saavy and I should just keep my rambling thoughts of the government uselessness and total idiosity to myself. It's like that new stimulus check we'll all be waiting on...I like getting money as much as the next person, but I'm not really stimulating the economy with any of it. I don't think you are going to stimulate anything with those checks, and certainly not the loused up economy we're walking in. We need jobs, new job training for folks out of a job needing to turn a whole new direction, etc. Those stimulis government checks are nice, but really not the answer to anything long term. It's a band-aid, and not even a good one.

What's that saying -- you can give a man a fish and feed him for the day, or you can teach a man to fish and he can feed himself the rest of his days. We'd be better of teaching these folks that they shouldn't even be getting a tax refund...you loaned how much to the government from each of your paychecks over the year, then get some sense of excitement because they give it back to you after you jump through their hoops???
Heeellllloooo there....anyone home??? Up those 'exemptions' on your paycheck paperwork and stop giving folks money while you sit there struggling paycheck to paycheck every week to even pay your basic bills, let alone the frivolous things you're buying on those credit cards. You are walking in debt and you're happy to do it apparently because you keep doing it the same way over and over again. It's not illegal, you know, to not pay into the tax folks...just pay enough to cover what Caesar is due...keep the rest in your pocket. You want to loan out money for nothing and then play a game of hoops to get it back? Send it to me :o)

I know...I'm a bit out there for most folks. And yes, I know that idiosity isn't a real word, but it should be...it's kinda fun to say :o) Anyone coming by here should know by now I tend to say what rolls around my (sometimes empty) mind at any given time, and I don't necessarily find a tactful way to say it. I often make no real sense to anyone other than myself...I've learned to deal with that and so have most folks who know me :o) Just ask Debi....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a silent reader for a while and usually just read and enjoy your post. But today you gave me a chuckle trying to describe your logic, I think the same way and you make perfect sense! Now if only the government would or could make any sense!
Roxanne

Dawn said...

Great post! I agree with everything you wrote. :)

I was telling hubby the other day...you know all those jobs that were lost in the automobile industry, health care, phone companies and the like..well..the government needs to give those people their jobs back.
All the jobs and businesses that were lost need to be back in business.
They can start with that and then create new jobs (if that's even possible).

I don't pay attention to the news or politics...so they want to hand out another stimulus check? Oh brother...that's not going to fix anything...it's not going to jump start anything either. But hey, if ya wanna hand out free money, well then by all means I won't complain..lol.
One day they will get it right I guess.

My hubby was saying he heard Obama in '08 say that he will just create more money to fix the money problems here in the US. Anyone with a brain knows you don't solve money problems with more money.

Crazy world...

God Bless You!

Momzoo said...

I don't think you are an idiot at all, I think you are very wise.

I agree with you 100%

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog. My husband tells me he feels like he is reading something I wrote.

Our roads need work. Can't we hire people for this. Or as Fred Thompson suggests: just let half the unemployed people dig holes and the other half fill them up. At least they would have to WORK for the money and not just be handed it. I am a real believer in the biblical principle of No work/no food. I know that if my husband didn't go to work everyday we'd go hungry.

Keep up the good work.
Laurie in NC

Anonymous said...

Deanna everything looks great and those pancakes..yummy!.. Keep up the good work.. A quick way to clean up a mess on the cookstove is wax paper I thought I would share that with you..
BLessings Brenda/haflinger

Unknown said...

Thank you, Aimee. Don't know how many would agree with you on that observation about me, though :o) I'm just plain spoken -- and often loud about it, is all.

Laurie, I totally agree with you on that. We definitely need jobs, not more 'hand-outs' around here. In our area right here on the mountain, these folks fully understand the concept of no work, no food. They have lived their whole lives based on that. Laziness meant empty pantries and empty bellies. They worked all day in their fields. One man jokes about how he had his own little 'garden' of sticks and rocks from the main garden...it was how he learned to farm basically. He was too little to be in the field with the rest of the family, but as everyone was out there, he needed to be along with them to be cared for, so 2 years old, he was given his own garden to tend while the others did the real work.
He's not but in his mid-40's. We aren't talking only the elder generation around here -- it only in the upcoming teenagers that you begin seeing the fruits of laziness around here now. Which is sad.

We wouldn't be in the best position if Dewey weren't off working, that's for sure. We are trying to get to the place where we can keep ourselves going without his working, but with the way life moves these days, it seems like it may never really happen. But, that's the direction we are moving in here on this homestead :o)

And like Dewey says...he can always be a greeter at Wal-Mart if times get tough. LOL...I just can't visualize that job on his resume, though :o)

Deanna

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive