Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cooking Can Be...Interesting

I will get how to cook on this stove. We will be able to eat fairly decently based upon my cooking on this cookstove.

No telling how many applications of my B&W Ointment for burns I'll be using in the meantime...

LOL...seems I'm rather clumsy at wood cooking. I keep forgetting it's not my regular stovetop -- note to self: stop moving the pan around without a pot holder! I have burns on my fingers, a touch of burn markings on my forearm...

Now, last night, we cooked a pot of ham and bean soup...and it cooked :o)


And I did a peach crisp...yum

I did a pan of cornbread, too...stop laughing...I do know that it needs to be watched more closely, and turned for more even baking...not that I did any of that as you can clearly tell by the blackened/cajun look to that side of the pan...


And here, some lessons learned from the cooking escapades already...this is breakfast this morning...totally woodstove cooked...I can do the on-top-of-the-stove stuff much better than that in-the-oven stuff......pancakes in the warming oven...made in my 10in. skillet.

They came across my cast iron 'missing collection' in the building...the 10in flat griddle, my 14in skillet, a 12 or 14 qt dutch oven, and my cast iron kettle. We did some serious scrubbing with some wire brushes on things this morning, gave them a good coat of shortening and heated them a bit. They look so much prettier now :o) The kettle is on the wood heater, adding humidity to the room.


I'm a bit sloppy while cooking...note the bit of a mess with pancake dribbles and such...

BUT WE ATE GOOD THIS MORNING :o) That's the whole point...that's my goal here...

4 comments:

Meredith said...

The pancakes look fluffy and beautiful!

I have never cooked on that type of stove but we always set a hot cider punch on my grandmother's at Christmas. Yum!

Dawn said...

Mmmmm old fasioned cooking!!! I'm coming over to have some pancakes! :)
Burnt cornbread is still edible...just slather it with extra butter and have a drink nearby to gulp it down :)

Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Wood burning fireplace and stoves are illegal here, but I can only imagine how hard it must be. I have heard that cooks used to know temperatures by touch--by TOUCH?!?! How do you do that?!? Good luck to you!

Your P. Buckley Moss picture on the top of you site makes me smile; I have met her; she drew my picture and it was auctioned off for charity; everyone kept bidding higher knowing my parents would want the picture! Sure enough, they won.

I just realized my husband has never seen that picture. Hmm. . . I will have to ask my parents where it is!

Unknown said...

How neat to have met her. I absolutely loved that little graphic when a friend sent it to me. I have a couple more I've always loved saved here on my computer as well.
I was never sure where any of them originated -- Goodness, I'm a thief! I'll have to apologize for 'stealing' her wonderful artwork!

Testing the temp by touch...I read something about holding your hand in the oven...so many minutes was around one temp, so many minutes around another, etc. That and something about putting a piece of paper in the oven -- after a specified time, a lightly yellowed paper meant it was not yet hot enough for baking, darker yellow was ready for things such as cakes and the like, darkened was hot enough for biscuits or such.

Me, I'm "touching" that stove more than enough already just cooking! OUCH! I'm beginning to look like a leper with all these little burn spots :o) I think I'll go with the oven thermometer approach :o)

Thanks for the information on the graphic :o) It is a favorite of mine.

Deanna

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive