Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Day Made for...

Sorting some fabric scraps.

Definitely not *all* of the cut scraps I have (have I mentioned I'm a fabric-a-holic?), but some that have been lingering around the desk and sewing machine needing sorting and relocating.

Not that I made it far with them, mind you. They are now grouped in colors and stacked in a small wicker basket...at the sewing machine.

But they look pretty now.

I really need to work on the 'moving from pretty to useful' process. I havea lot of odds and ends of scraps. Anyone want to swap piles of scrap??? I've here.

I have purposed them for things, though. Doesn't that count a little tiny bit in the 'progress' department? I have that grand plan of stiching together all the 'crumbs' for some crumb chaos blocks. What could be easier than just grabbing scraps, no matter what their size, and stitching them together? It's very doable.

I just have a slow constitution when it comes to just sitting down and DOING that sort of thing. It isn't that I don't want to, or even that I don't need to (I have enough scrappy piles here to quilt this entire household and then some)...but I make the plan of attack and then remember I really *need* to sew clothing and scraps can wait a bit.

Of course, then I start looking at the needed clothing list and figure perhaps I might need to get some things cut and ready for sewing...as I cut, and I'm taking up the dining table with fabrics and pattern pieces, I go ahead and cut several things at once.

But the plan of sewing gets re-prioritized along the way, moving the scrap bag plans even further away from the list for the day. Like this morning -- after breakfast finished, morning tasks done and we prepared for school, we decided to read aloud. Read all of Gulliver's Travels in one sitting. Not a bad use of time, but the day progressed where we really didn't.

That's life here. No real set-in-stone priorities but a great length of listed To-Dos waiting daily.

Now, in about an hour, Dewey heads off for his physical therapy. Three times a week for the next full month. THREE TIMES EACH WEEK. If I leave for town once a week it's a schedule issue, now we have to go several times a week for the next month? I'll go bonkers with that schedule. Watch...it'll show up here. You can all watch as I slowly lose what's left of my mind.

I don't know HOW women with children manage to tend hearth and home AND hold down a job to boot. I know I used to do it once, back in the Dark Ages, but I sure don't recall how I made it through with any shred of sanity.

Maybe that's why God says a woman's calling is to her home and family? HE didn't want to see us pulling our hair out thinking we could do all things.

4 comments:

Beautifully Veiled said...

I'll be praying for you! I only head in once a week if I HAVE to! I'm glad to know someone else is the same way. It throws everything off and I feel like I get nothing done. I know everytime we head in that it will be at least 4 hours before I get back into the house. So I'll be praying for lots of grace for the whole family during this season.

Keeper of the Home said...

I hear ya on your fabric collecting. I love to catch those bargains and sales when I can. I just made a blanket for my princess pup today. So I guess there must be something in the air that is making us gravitate to our sewing baskets.

~Mrs. M

FRUGAL DAYCARE MOM said...

I will keep you and Dewey in my prayers. It is hard for me to go to town often as well, and I have already gone twice this week and I have to go again tomorrow. It keeps me from getting anything done. But I am trying to get all my appointments out of the way and have them done! Perhaps you could see if you have any other appointments you need to do and try to do them as he gets his PT! It doesn't make it easier today, but in the long term it may.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Your fabric looks lovely.

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive