Friday, November 20, 2009

Are We There Yet? The Holidays

Sara, first off, I send you some big hugs. Don't stress. Life's too short for that. It's just the holidays. At your house. In your kitchen. With friends and family.

And don't shoot me. I am The Queen of Stress. Ask my mother. She sure ain't gonna tell you I'm just on top of things, smooth-running life, no worries and all smiles and giggles.

I don't have to cook for family at my house anymore. I did once, but we don't live by any family now so it's a done deal. We used to plan for just ourselves. No one wanted to come over. We were just the relatives with all those children and didn't have to worry about too many family visits, even when they all lived within a half hour's drive. One year, though, that all changed. We had my MIL over. She in turn, invited SIL and family to come. We ate pretty much as usual. We tend to over-cook and serve out a monster buffet of foods, guests or not. Well, SIL got talking to BIL (who didn't come that year) and they started teasing and comparing menus. Apparently mine won out and from that year on for the next several, everyone migrated to our house for Thanksgiving. We did a total of 46 one year. Seating was fun and creative to say the least.

But, we don't do that now. It's just us, plus Chris and Hope will be here. So far no one else has made a comment about Thanksgiving nearing...works for me :o) This year we will fix the normal run of foods, and no doubt have far more than 12 folks need, but that's just how we roll 'round here.

Today's Homeschool Freebie is Making The Holidays Family-Friendly from Penny Raine. Great timing. I'm sure there will be tons of bloggers sharing tips and thoughts on making it through with sanity as the 2 most demanding and enjoyable holidays of the family gathering season near...

1 comment:

Naturally Blessed Mama said...

Thank you so much for the hugs and the encouragement. I lay in bed last night thinking about it all, and realized it was all about my perspective on the whole thing. If I make myself feel stressed, then I'm gonna be stressed. So I'm just going to do what I can, and if I don't get it all done, no big deal.

My main focus needs to be on the reason for the season, and on not letting my budget go over what we can handle. That may mean that everyone is getting something from the dollar store, but it's better than nothing, right? I'm hoping however to find a quick gift that I can put together from what I have on hand here, like the criss cross coasters I found last year.

Well, I'm off to do more planning and check out the freebie of the day! Thanks again!

In His Grace,
sara

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive