Monday, May 18, 2009

Reading and catching up a bit...

I have been reading and catching up at A Process Driven Life. It's been a month of "guest blogs" over there. Friends, Commenters, and unknowns sharing thoughts of what they have learned about themselves and God's Will for their lives in the realm of His Word and leadings toward agrarianism.

There has been some discord being shared online about Michael Bunker the past many months.

I know, discord and ill sharings following Mr Bunker. Hardly unusual for him, I imagine. He is certainly a strong speaker and not one to mince words and feed you with a spoon from The Word. He is either liked or he is hated. There are definitely no gray areas when it comes to his preachings.
I understand fully well that Michael comes across as harsh in his internet writings. Perhaps too harsh. No one can accuse him of being a lukewarm Christian. And, likewise, no one can accuse him of “tickling the ears” of his listeners in order to engender their “good graces.” He seems to be more inclined to the unpopular task of telling the truth in a world that is in love with lies. Religiously smug and self righteous people just don’t cotton to such things. They never have. They never will.

Boy, now if that doesn't hit the nail on the head I don't know what does. People who listen to his preaching or read his writings tend to have very strong opinions to one extreme or the other. He has not left you feeling empty at the well, that's for sure. The comment above -- that's from Herrick Kimball. If you read anything in agrarian circles, you know that name. No, I'm not exalting him -- or Mr Bunker -- just thought it was a very fitting comment and I felt led to share it.

I like reading Mr Bunkers 'sermons' and other sharings. I don't always walk away with a fuzzy warm feeling about what I've been told in his writing, but I like that! I don't need someone to stroke my spirit with good things. I need someone to kick my lazy behind now and again (and again and again...) and keep me moving in The Word. If given the chance, I'd run to a community like I've read about in his sharings. Like-minded fellowship in church and in social grouping. Community in the truest sense of the word. I have always felt such a lack of that very thing in my life.

If you have a chance to visit, I would certainly recommend it. Of course, if you aren't interested in reading about a Godly, agrarian lifestyle, you might not find something of interest there. And if you are content to be spoon fed the milk soup that most churches feed out these days, you will no doubt find the meat shared there to be a bit choking. But if you like sound doctrine and just plain good reading, take a moment and visit.

I enjoy reading good Bible Truths shared without compromise and without being tainted by thoughts and colorations of personal issues. I don't mind a glass of milk now and then, but I've been weaned...I much prefer soild foods.
Then again, I enjoy Dave Ramsey, too and he tends to chap a few behinds as well with folks :o)

Michael Bunker is big and loud and he steps on toes. He's embarrassingly uncompromising and he preaches really long, tediously detailed, ridiculously researched sermons. (Undoubtedly no one has told him about the 20 minute rule or how a preacher is supposed to look and dress.) As if that weren't bad enough, his sermons won't make you feel the least bit all warm and fuzzy inside like a good sermon should. He actually takes God at His word, of all things.

1 comment:

Trixi said...

I have enjoyed everything that I have read from Michael Bunker.

We attended the MHEA homeschool conference this past weekend and Doug Phillips of Vision Forum Ministries was the speaker. It was fabulous and not in the least warm and fuzzy. I also bought a tape that Voddie Baucham has put out about the current culture war that is amazing. There is some really good convicting stuff out there if we look for it.

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive