Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hanging Planter Bags

A friend on the Bama board sent this in and I wanted to pass it along for thos not wanting to dig up yard space.
My mother made these hanging planting bags for her flowers and they turned out really pretty. I don't know that she has done tomatoes yet. Strawberries could very easily be done in the bags as well. Peppers, maybe even bush beans...I imagine the applications could be endless depending on the boundaries of your imagination!

Now something I would like to know about is poking tomato plants down into old hay bales??? Someone did that around here last year, a tomato plant at either end of the bale. Not dirt, just poked into the bale itself, then a metal Tpost at either end and some wire strung across for staking. That house had some 15 bales lined up their driveway and huge plants!
Has anyone seen this done or done this themselves?

For sometime now I have been looking at those "upside down tomato totes" only to dismiss buying them because of the price.
I had never seen the personally or even touched them until this past weekend.
Home Depot had some set up and planted with 2 tomato plants at $20.00 each.

They are made out of plastic! Most of us with dogs, buying large bags of dog food, are coming in contact with that very same material! Well it has dogs and info printed all over it and they have a green color printed all over it.

I am cutting up the bag and will sew them into totes.
The top of the bag will be hemmed, double sewed with nylon thread. There will be an opening in the hemm on left and right side. A wire
coat hanger (taken apart) will be put through and both ends will be connected tightly. Use the exposed wire to connect the
chain or rope for hanging.

Fill bag with light gowing medium, disposable diaper (outside liner removed - keeps planter more hydrated)and more dirt.

Cut a small x on one side and plant tomato, after one week hang up!
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother planted tomatoes in hay bales (straw bales really) a couple of years ago and he told me how successful his was...so last year I decided to give it a try. I plant a huge, huge garden so I decided to try this as a "side" project....I took a sharp knife and actually cut a hole in the straw, and placed the tomato plant down into it. I got just enough dirt to fill up the hole that was left around the tomato. Then I sprinkled some fertilize around the tomato plants and watered them very good. After that, I did find that you had to water them quite a bit because my straw bales were sitting in the full sun and dried out pretty fast. The vines grew tall and beautiful..and they did set and make some tomatoes. I personally found that they didn't make as many tomatoes as the ones in the garden. If it was my only alternative, I would plant them again. However, I think I will just stick to the ones in the garden...Jana

Trixi said...

People around here do there own hanging tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets with a small hole in the bottom. It works great but I will stick to having them in the garden for now. When we can downsize our garden from the monstousity that we have, maybe I will try it.

Innisfree in Alaska said...

smartie!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

I'm actually thinking of trying some of the straw bales this year. Here's a how to link on the subject: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1084/?utm_source=nl_2008-05-26&utm_medium=email

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive