Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tuesday Visit

The news I've heard so far sounds very good, considering. Gustav didn't beat down on New Orleans as the thought for a while there. Our prayers are with the million plus folks throughout Louisiana without power and still bearing up under the remnants of heavy rain and winds.

I worked on my Bible class lesson last night. Our Pastor was teaching verse-by-verse on Wednesday's from the book of Acts. He asked me if I would be willing to take his class for the rest of the year. I sort of agreed, tentatively, and said I'd pray over it.

No, I don't believe in women teaching Bible. Well, I certainly don't believe in women teaching men/boys. If it were a child's class, I probably wouldn't have the reservations, but this is teens.

The reason I agreed, for now at least, is that our church is incredibly small...on a really good week we have all of 25 faithful attend (truth be told, we have all of only 37 on the rolls right now altogether). Our teen class was started after we arrived....there were only 2 other children. We came to church and bingo -- youth explosion :o) Right now, for the 'teen' class, we have those 2 daughters of a friend, my two eldest girls, and my middle son. Once in a blue, blue moon, another friend of ours comes to church, but he is never able to be counted on. It just depends on what he feels like doing, and his family doesn't push otherwise. So, I would be teaching mainly my own children...well, my own son. I don't have a problem with that at all. If the class were to grow to include other teen boys, I would not keep teaching.

Either way, I didn't stay with the book of Acts. I might change my mind, but right now, I went with a short study, 'introduction' as it were, to the 12 Apostles instead. Then I have something we had started here on the final days of Christ and His Resurrection. I'm just not sure what to do with the teens. I know my own children will follow and understand the study I have, but I'm not sure about the others. The 2 daughters are both saved, but their level of actual comprehension I don't know about. There is one more girl who comes every so often -- an elder's daughter -- but you can't count on her, either. It's Fair season throughout the Mid-South and she does alot of shows and demonstrations (she does rodeo stuff and barrel racing, plus her family runs a livestock sale and auction service).

Well, we'll see what happens.

On another note, Dewey and Christopher headed out early-squirrely this morning for the job in Arkansas. Straight into thunderstorms and rains. We are pretty sure we have forgotten to pack him something, but that's typical. You always feel like you are forgetting something when you don't really want to leave in the first place. But, we loaded his new truck to the gills...he might forget something, but he certainly won't lack for much of anything! The children each tucked drawings and such into his bags and toolbox for him to find. Right now, we are planning him back next weekend. This week they will get settled into the lease house, and start the process of hiring locally -- something that might be difficult. Everyone on this job must have their Arkansas Electrical license. If they can't man the job that way, it will go Union. Not a problem for Dewey as technically he is still Union, but Christopher won't be able to work the job then as he isn't in any of their schooling. Let's pray they can man the job themselves.

Question of the day -- if a tree falls in your yard and you aren't there to witness it, does it make a sound?

Yep. It does. Imagine a slight whoosh and a bit of a thud. That's it. Nothing earth-shattering or seismic. Just a shy plunk and there, at the end of the trailer, laid our pine tree. It wasn't the prettiest one we have by a long shot, but in the spring it was covered with a solid mass of wisteria up one side. Now, it's just lying there in the yard like...well, like a fallen tree.

I knew we shouldn't have mowed the side yard. We'd let it go for thee longest time (ok, so it was more out of laziness than any other reason...still...) but here we just mowed on Saturday and now Monday comes and down it goes. Could be all that tall grass and weed was holding the old tree upward.

And wouldn't you know it, but the chainsaw isn't working. So...next question of the day will probably be this:

How many homeschoolers does it take to drag a tree to the back pasture?

No comments:

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive