Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sewing for Autumn/Winter needs

This is what I said:
-- get busy sewing for winter needs!
The list is simple -- 4 dresses/aprons, 2 coverings, nightgown, slip/bloomers
4 pants/shirts, 2 vests for church, pajama sets
But it really wasn't what I meant. I had an email from a wonderful sister saying she knew I could manage that list with ease and certainly encouraged me....

but, I sort of mislead ya'll with the wording of that list.

Yes, we need 4 dresses/aprons...but it's 4 times 5 daughters, then myself. Same with the coverings and nightgowns and underthings.

And the 4 outfits and 2 vests...that would be 4 and 2 times 3 sons.

All in all, over the next month -- with The Lord's blessing and mercy -- we will get together a complete range of sewing including 24 dresses/aprons, 10 coverings, 5 nightgowns and several underthings for us ladies of the homestead, and 12 sets of pants and shirts, 6 vests for church and assorted pjs and boxers and the like.

Whew...personally, I like the way it sounded first :o)

Sorry for the confusion....but I do appreciate the encouragement and the prayers about its accomplishment by the end of October. Yes, we should be able to do it easily enough. My daughters rather sew with a heart of 'begrudgment' (LOL...no, that isn't a real word, but it fits my needs). The eldest is having some attitude issues that are about to get her locked into a closet until Prince Charming shows up to claim her...and the next eldest, well, she likes to sew, but she lacks patience and gets frustrated because she feels she should know how to do more already. And yes, I know this is all a throwback to the poor training I've done. There is nothing like watching your lapses and short-falls in sowing come back in the reaping. Very revealing and very humbling.

I don't know how some parents manage without The Lord and lots of prayer.

1 comment:

Amanda #1 said...

Your second eldest daughter reminds me of myself...both when I was younger and even a bit now. I've always loved to sew, but I'm only now cultivating patience. I've always felt that I should just be able to osmois my mom's sewing knowledge. Consequently, I inevitably wound up taking on projects far beyond my ability.

One project in particular sticks out in my mind...I decided I wanted to sew a pleated skirt out of a wool plaid. With a zipper. I'd never done pleats, never really matched plaids, and never really done a zipper. My mom tried, desprately, to talk me out of this skirt. I wouldn't listen. I knew better. She couldn't tell me anything. I ended up crying several times before that skirt was done. Mom wound up finishing it for me. It was a horrible experience. (I'd like to say that this was all very long ago. Alas, I am 25 now, and I think I was 20 when this happened.)

But, I do promise, sewing has helped me to cultivate much patience, and I am much more careful before selecting a pattern. I carefully consider, "Am I capable of this?" I am proud to say that I can sew in a zipper with the best of them, and I can sew pleats and match plaids. Though not together--the skirt was too scarring. It's going to be a LONG time before I do pleated plaids again!

So tell your daughter that I said to listen to her mother. It IS frustrating to do simple stuff when you think you should be able to do more. But you have to walk before you can run.

(And strongly advise her against pleated plaids.)

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive