Friday, August 20, 2010

Question: Crockpot Yogurt

Yes, found lots of great tutorials on this and yogurt is on the list of wanna-do goodies here. However...

All the recipes I find are using 4 quart crockpots. I've seen them. They are "cute" and all, but hardly anything remotely practical for THIS family!
Maybe for Miss Emily's play kitchen, but I'm a 7 or 8 quart crocker myself (3 of them actually). Those little 4 quarts are barely a side-dish around here!

Not one site I've found doing the crockpot yogurt has discussed doubling the recipe. Perhaps it just doesn't lend itself to doubling. Some recipes are like that.

Has anyone made yogurt in a larger crock and had success? I'm concerned with the heating qualities being different between the smaller units and the larger ones. Anyone has personal experience or shall I count this a learning curve and just go for it? It isn't as though I couldn't affords to louse up a gallon of milk here :)

3 comments:

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

Sara said...
Thanks so much! I tried this last night and it turned out amazing!

I used my 6qt and here are the adjustment I made (someone asked): cook for 3 1/2 hours on low, then let it sit covered for 3 1/2 -4 hours before stirring in the starter. I still used 1/2 gallon on milk (I used 2% with 1 cup dry milk stirred in to thicken it and it really worked) and 1/2 starter.

October 27, 2008 5:23 AM

Found this on this link...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

Trixi said...

I, too, only have the larger crockpots but I'm thinking with your abundance of milk, just try it! I can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Do you get the GRIT magazine? There is an article in it this month on a man who has a small dairy (11 cows) 8 miles from Oxford, Ms. It's called the Brown Family Dairy. It's a neat article and I thought of you and your new cow.

Mrs. G said...

Hello, one of my followers also follows your blog, I'm glad that they did so that I could "find" you! We too are Christian (Quaker) homesteaders with 9 children (4 boys and 5 girls).
Mrs. G

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive