Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday's Comin'.....whooops, it's here!

We're waiting on Dad to come in. He'll look things over and we'll see what we've missed and what we might want to change before Miss Judy arrives.

"You come home every chance you get. You read that every night. And you say your prayers. You resist temptation. And you remember you're my grandson. "

See how simple life used to be? Sure, that's just The Walton's, where John Boy moves to Westham to take a job while trying to earn the money to make the down payment on that used printing press. He's all packed and ready to leave. Grandma hands him her well-worn black covered Bible and gives him her best advice. It's just TV. But maybe if more families held a bit more of that multi-generational, family togetherness life would be better all around. Shoot, folks might actual LIKE each other :)

Here was my devotional today --
AT YOUR SERVICE, GOD

I suspect you are not loving and serving (is there any difference?) God the way the Bible teaches -- with your all. I know I allow too many things to keep me from wholehearted service to God. What might those things be which succeed in distracting us from the kind of service God wants from us?

FORGETFULNESS.
Our lives have become so full and complex that it becomes easy, too often natural, to lose God in the shuffle. We have our things to do...and we utterly forget our debt to God.

LAZINESS.
Serving God requires work, hard work. If God had a field or an office or a nursing home where I could go work in His visible
presence and supervision, *perhaps* that would help. But He doesn't. Instead He expects my service to Him to be rendered to other people. So I become lazy because somehow "it just isn't the same."

LACK OF COMMITMENT.
This means I am not willing to deliver all I can, even when I soar over the previous two hurdles. Among other things, this lack of commitment is evidenced by comments like, "I have already done my share!" The committed servant keeps no ledger of his service for at least two reasons.

First of all, he serves for the joy of obedience (which is dulled by a tallying spirit).
Secondly, he knows that he can never balance the ledger -- he owes God too much.

PERSONAL PURSUITS AND AMBITION.
I have so many things I want to accomplish for myself. I have a name to make for myself. I have some laudable projects I want to bring to fruition...for myself. There are certain things "I simply must have." I have so many of my own...ah...needs to meet.

May we refocus our lives on serving God, that we may meet with His approval.


Well, back to work! And maybe I can *finish* the post on honey that I meant to send...instead of the quickie blurb I shared.

2 comments:

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Such beautiful words. Brings conviction...words this heart needing to here.

Blessing.

Pioneer Beauty said...

Dear Fellow Pilgrims,
I came across your blog and found it to be delightful and refreshing. I am so pleased to be seeing so many like minded believers in Blogville. I am enjoying my new found journey into this wonderful place of Bloggers. I look forward to visiting again. If it pleases you I hope you are able to stop by and visit with me at Pioneer Beauty.
Lords Blessing be upon you,

PioneerBeauty
Angelina

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive