A great fun recipe from the About.com Homeschooling pages!
Oatmeal Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups Quaker® Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Ready-to-spread frosting
- Assorted candies
Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add combined flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
Heat oven to 350°F. On floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4 inch thick for a chewy cookie or 1/8 inch thick for a crisp cookie. Cut with 5-inch gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Frost and decorate cookies with candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.