- 1/2 cup oleo (80 percent vegetable oil margarine) or butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
- 1/2 cup oleo (80 percent vegetable oil margarine) or butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup oleo (80 percent vegetable oil margarine) or butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1. Line a 13x9x2-inch pan with foil, extending foil over the pan edges. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 cup oleo over low heat until melted. Stir in granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and egg. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until blended and slightly thickened (160 degrees F), whisking constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and nuts until well combined. Press mixture into prepared pan; chill.
2. For middle layer, in a small bowl, combine the milk and vanilla pudding mix; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the 1/2 cup softened oleo with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat the pudding mixture into the oleo until combined. Beat in 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled layer in pan; cover and chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
3. For top layer or frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the 1/4 cup oleo and chocolate pieces. Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) for 45 to 75 seconds or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Cool slightly. Spread frosting evenly over the chilled bars. Chill until firm. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Cut into bars. Makes 48 bars.
To store: Place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.