Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another Great Pumpkin Bread...with a twist

Another goodie for the autumn season from Everyday Food Storage! They share so many delicious -- and healthy -- recipes!

Since I posted this last year, I've realized that this is also a great candidate for BEANS! Okay, maybe I'm a little obsessed with the beans but every time I try them, the recipe tastes SO MUCH BETTER and I guess I'm still a little in shock!

Here is the recipe again…this time with BEANS. I discovered this recipe last fall off of kraftfoods.com, modified it for food storage and fell in love with it! It's easy with virtually no mess (just dump everything in the bowl and stir). I've served it at family functions and given it as gifts to friends and everyone L-O-V-E-S it!! My favorite way to eat it is to spread cream cheese on it for an easy breakfast on the go. You've got to give it a try!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 egg whites (or 2 T. dryPowdered Egg + 1/4 C. Water)
1/2 cup fat-free milk (1-1/2 T. Dry Powdered Milk + 1/2 C. Water)
1/4 cup canola oil (1/4 cup white or pinto bean puree)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt

PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Grease a nonstick 9×5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
Mix pumpkin, 1 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 3 of the egg whites, milk and oil in large bowl. Add flour, baking powder, pie spice and salt; stir just until moistened. 

SPOON the pumpkin batter into prepared pan.
BAKE 1 hour to 1 hour 5 min. or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run knife or thin spatula around edges of pan to loosen bread; cool in pan on wire rack 10 min. Remove bread from pan to wire rack; cool completely.


* * * * * *
Ok...I'm upping the white bean count in the pantry now :o). Pintos too...I can get 25# bags of them locally. I live under a rock I tell you. I've never, never and never thought about using beans that much, and I certainly never knew a thing about substituting them pureed as an oil/fat in any recipe -- especially baked goods!

I know. I need to read more and get out from the cave just a bit more, in the right company.

1 comment:

MyBulletinBoard said...

In the winter, I like to pressure navy beans and store them in the freezer in one-cup portions. When I make cream soups (we love potato soup), just add a cup of mashed beans while the potatoes are cooking. You can't tell they are there, and they add fiber. Some people mill the hard beans to powder, but I like the non-effect of the pressure-cooked beans better.

I don't really think you live under a rock. There are just too many ideas to have them all at once. You'd short out!

Liz

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive