Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Are You Ready for the Analog Goodbye?

We don't have television reception here anyway, but I still think this is rather interesting.

The deadline is looming, you know. This Friday, analog bites the digital dust. Finally. Without further delay to soak up more money from folks, it appears.

Back in February 12 million homes were without proper materials to make the switch. Obviously, with 12 million people about to be forced into television exile, not being able to hear the wonder words of the President, the nightly news and so forth, we couldn't possibly make the switch.

It would have been unAmerican.

But, now that the economy has taken jobs and we've been fed the proper information about all those bankruptcies, those corporate bailouts, the newly elected officials and all that other necessary American stuff we get to listen to from mainline media...and there are only 3 million folks still not prepared...it's finally time to cut the analog cord once and for all.

Are you ready? Do you have your converter box and digital antenna up and running? Did you chomp the bit and go ahead and spring for Comcast or a satellite dish with your unemployment check?

I know. I'm being rather catty. Some folks really can't live without television. It's the same with the internet. Hey, I like mine just as much as the next gal. I don't miss television one bit. I would probably miss the internet, though even with the card through the cell service, we have a hard to get signal and I miss alot regardless. If there were anything I could find redeeming about satellite service, I'd probably skim the grocery budget and turn off the electricity all day to save for the bill.

Friday is it, folks. Be there or...well, I suppose the saying is "be square" but with some 3 million folks on your side, I don't think that is a fitting saying :o)

5 comments:

mrshester said...

Maybe. ;)

Lisa said...

I could do without TV but Hubby would probably shrivel up and die if it was gone! Frankly, I'm ready to be done hearing about the upcoming change, more than the change itself. We are ready, so let the games begin!

Just don't touch my internet!!

Ace said...

I just have to say that my old "paranoid" and crazy mind here just keeps saying that there is more to this than just television signals. There is too much time, effort, money and advertising going into it. I want the tv OUT of the house.

I just think on Friday, it will be a good idea to pray before you watch from now on....

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Unknown said...

Now Ace, you KNOW I agree with you on that one.
Sure, I understand -- and it makes good enough sense even -- that this frees up analog signals for use in emergency situations, with emergency personnel, etc. And, true enough, a generation ago, we didn't have a zillion channel feeds hogging up the analog airways, so of course, it wasn't a big deal then when broadcast was 'young' and all that.

But, I also believe what my Bible says, and there ain't no way I think this is all some natural step in updating the broadcasting of the country and the other soft soap being peddled with this change.

LOL...I won't be donning my tin foil hat and suit to view television, but did you even think that maybe those oddballs from the 1970's weren't so far off the mark?

THE MARK.

Kimberly said...

How funny. I'd heard about the change a few months ago and thought it was all done. We've been tv-free for 12 years. Don't miss it at all!

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive