Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hmmm...one could easily starve...

especially if they relied on me to cook on the cookstove :o(

I'll admit it. Were that my only source of cooking, we'd go hungry.

I did get the fires going yesterday -- I cheated and filled the firebox with large coals from the heater -- but I couldn't have fried an egg on that stove if my life had depended on it :o( I simply couldn't keep (or get?) it hot enough. I can't imagine baking in it at all.

I'm a sorry excuse for a true homesteader looking to be off-the-grid. Goodness, one of the major task of an off-grid homestead is figuring out HOW TO EAT. I have 9 people here beside myself who would certainly be relying on my abilities in the kitchen and on that cookstove were we to take that step to self-reliance and all.

And we'd be eating store-bought bread and cold sandwiches considering yesterday's waste of time :o(




Ok, pity party over. I'm stubborn. I'm going to get the better of that stove and that's all there is to it. I don't particularly like cold sandwiches. I want hot bread I've made myself...and maybe even some hot ham and melted cheese on my sandwiches. Even if it's PB&J, I prefer my bread toasted, so HA! I have no choice. I have to learn how to build a decent and somewhat substantial fire in that firebox. I have to learn how to not only cook decently, but get it going well enough for the oven to be of use for me. Even with the electric range I use my oven more than I use anything else. Learning to use that oven is a big deal around here.

Tips, thoughts, ideas...help!

1 comment:

GraceFromHim said...

I hand it to ya, I honestly would go crazy lol. Sad but true lol.

Jer.6:16

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

Blog Archive